Every pregnant woman and her family have one question in common that keeps on nagging till the baby is out in this beautiful world. Will it be a normal or a C-section delivery? Every one prays for vaginal delivery which is commonly known as normal delivery as it is the most common and opted way of giving birth to your baby naturally.
There are few pros and cons for both of them. Despite of how the baby is going to arrive in this world, what important is health of the baby and mother both. In some cases C sections are exceptional requirement for safely delivering the baby without affecting the health of the baby and the mom.
Normal delivery vs C-section
Normal delivery is the natural way of giving birth and mostly opted by the expectant moms. It is one of the most uncomplicated methods to deliver a baby. However, doctors plan for c section in few cases.
When C section is exceptional requirement
Baby is too large which would make vaginal delivery impossible.
- When the baby is in breach position which makes next to impossible for vaginal delivery
- Umbilical cord wrapped round the neck of the fetus
- Other complications of mother and her health
- Some case when mother cannot take the pain
- Planned in advance to avoid the difficulty involved in the long process of pain
Vaginal birth and risk involved in it
Vaginal birth is a bit difficult and it involves a long process that is physically excruciating and a real hard one for the expectant woman. It is the natural way and most women prefer vaginal birth as it is the way nature intended. Normal delivery involves much pain; however after the baby is delivered woman can leave hospital soon compared to that of C-section as it is a major surgery. There are no risk of severe bleeding, infections, anesthesia risk, etc will delivering the baby vaginally. Breastfeeding starts soon after the delivery.
Nowadays with the advancement in the science, various processes have evolved that aids woman in delivering the baby normally. Woman can start eating food of their choice soon, can start breast feed, also do babies work soon after they are out in this stunning world compared to that of c section. However, though it is painstaking to be the safest way of delivery, only the woman who delivers knows the pain.
Complications of vaginal delivery
- Tissues and muscles tear up due to strain developed while the fetus moves down the birth canal.
- The pain that mother faces is more than tearing up of several bones at the same time.
- Woman faces the problem of bowel and urine incontinence which includes passing of urine while sneezing or coughing.
- Lingering pain near vagina and anus is faced by several women.
Benefits of vaginal birth
- Woman can have contact with the baby soon ones it is delivered.
- Vaginal birth is good for babies and the lungs operate well and babies are less likely to develop problems related to breathing.
- Immune system is boosted in them. Vaginal births are not planned. It happens naturally,
Pros and Cons of C section
Today c sections make up to 30 % of the birth. C sections can be planned if medically required. However nowadays in order to avoid grieving pain and the after consequences, women opt for c section as they feel it is less painful. C section does not involve long hours of pain. Basically it is cutting out of the abdomen and uterus and taking the baby out. C section requires more attention after the baby is delivered as it is a surgery and bed rest is suggested. Contact with the baby is not soon as mother herself requires rest from the major surgery she underwent. If the umbilical cord is wrapped around the baby then cesarean is suggested by doctors to avoid baby getting strangled by her cord. There is risk of blood loss and infection. Recovery is tough as brings in pain and discomfort in the abdomen. Anesthesia is involved which can be dangerous for some. Once is C section she is more likely to have another c section in future. Babies born via c section are most likely to develop breathing problems compared to vaginal delivery. Each delivery has its own pros and cons.
However, bringing the baby safe in this world is the ultimate goal of every mother. Mother and baby should be healthy after the delivery despite of way it came out in this world.